Partner: All Indian workers' group, New Delhi...

The site will always be undergoing construction so if you have any information, links, etc. or comments/suggestions please let us know at
  FAQ on VRCs.  
Q. What are the categories of disabled registered at Vocational Rehabilitation Centres for the Handicapped?

A. Persons with Locomotor disabilities, visual impairment, hearing impairment, mental retardation and cured leprosy are eligible for registration at the VRC.

Q. Do I have to register at the Employment Exchange before registration at VRC?

A. No. The VRCs also function as Employment Exchanges for the purpose of notification and submission against notified vacancies of the government sector. Your name could be sponsored by the VRC as per your seniority.

Q. Are there any age or educational restrictions for registration at VRC?

A. People with disabilities between 15 to 45 years of age are eligible for registration. Educational qualifications are not prescribed. However, rehabilitation assistance would commensurate with education and skill level of the person.

Q. Do I have to bring any medical certificate of disability at the time of registration?

A. If you have a Medical Certificate it would certainly help. In certain marginal cases of disability, where the disability is not obvious, a

medical certificate from duly constituted Medical Board would be required. Otherwise medical examination is also arranged by the VRC.

Q. Should I have a minimum of 40% disability to approach VRC?

A. The concept of 40% disability applies only to the locomotor disabilities. In case of visual impairment, hearing impairment and cured leprosy, clear definitions are provided in the Persons with Disabilities Act

Q. From the list I see you also consider Mentally retarded. Are there any restrictions?

A. Yes. The VRC caters to the vocational rehabilitation needs of the Mild Mentally Retarded, whose IQ is between 51 and 70. As above, a certificate from a Psychiatrist would be of help; otherwise the VRC also has facilities to test them.

Q. What type of assistance is provided in the VRC?

A. The VRC conducts tests to find out the residual physical and mental abilities and helps the disabled to identify the vocation he would be able to perform despite disability.

Q. What if I do not have any skill?

A. On the basis of findings of the different tests, the VRC will help you choose a vocation and also assist in admission to regular training institutes such as Industrial Training Institutes, Polytechnics and other professional institutes, if you have adequate educational qualifications for admission to these. In case you do not possess adequate qualifications, the VRC provides non-formal skill training in the selected trade either at VRC itself or other workshops or institutions.

Q. What other facilities are available?

A. The VRC regularly organize pre-examination training programs for competitive examinations conducted by Staff Selection Commission etc. They also organize entrepreneurship development programs to guide in establishing self-employment ventures.

Q. What other employment assistance do you provide?

A. The VRC registers your name for sponsoring against notified vacancies of the government sector. The Officers of the VRC solicit vacancies with small, medium and large industries and establishments for vacancies and sponsor the candidates as per their requirement.

Q. Do you also provide assistance for self-employment and what will be the loan I will be able to get?

A. The VRCs assist you in formulating schemes, identifying the Financial Institutions and help in forwarding and follow up of the applications. Respective financial institutions provide the loans. The loan amount would depend on the project and your skills.

Q. Do you also provide aids and appliances?

A. Even though the provision of aids and appliances are beyond the purview of the VRC, the VRC does assist in procuring ability aids through NGOs, service clubs and other schemes.

Q. Several facilities such as reservation of telephone booths and provision of agencies, shops and kiosks etc are provided by the government. What is the role of the VRC in this aspect?

A. The VRCs forward your applications and to the extent possible follow up with these agencies.

Q. Do you have any hostel facilities for the disabled in these VRCs?

A. Yes, Some of the VRCs have limited hostel facilities for those undergoing evaluation or training. Please contact the respective VRC for more information.

Q. What type of training is provided by the VRC?

A. The VRCs provide non-formal training as per the requirements of the local employment market.

Q. Are the certificates issued by the VRCs recognized for employment in government?

A. The certificates would only show the skill you have acquired and are not recognized for employment in government. Skills are provided for enhancing the employability of the disabled. It helps in acquiring wage paid employment in establishments where skills are more important than educational qualifications and for starting self-employment ventures.

Q. I live in the rural area. How can I get the assistance from the VRC?

A. There are 11 Rural Rehabilitation Extension Centres attached to five of the VRCs. They survey the local areas and after identifying the needs, provide all assistance as provided by the VRC.

Q. But I do not live in these places. How can I get the benefit?

A. The VRCs organize rehabilitation camps, periodically in inaccessible places with collaboration form local NGOs or Employment exchange. You may get the counseling and other rehabilitation assistance during such camps. Look out for such opportunities.

Q. Do you organize any skill training programs also?

A. Yes, the VRCs organize Community based vocational training programs suited to the concerned area in collaboration with NGOs. You may get in touch with the VRC for details.

Q. When should I contact the VRC? Do you have any specific time frame?

A. You are free to approach the VRC on any working day, preferably before 1.00 P.M. along with whatever certificates you have.

Q. I belong to NGO/ Service Club and would like to take the services of the VRC to the disabled living in my area. What should I do?

A. The VRCs are on the lookout for such organizations for holding camps. You may get in touch with the nearest VRC for holding Camp and also organize community based vocational training.

Indian labor laws & acts © 2011-2017     Labour Bureau    ESIC    History    FAQ on VRCs    Question & Answer    CEPS